Saturday, September 18, 2010

Today I stuffed some figs with gorgonzola, wrapped them in bacon, and baked them. I've decided it's better with wide bacon to just cut it in half crosswise and fold it in half lengthwise to wrap around the fig rather then using 1/4 of the strip. You get better structural integrity and more bacon flavor.

I baked them for 15 min at 425 and they were pretty good, but next time I think I'll precook the bacon at 350 for 5 minutes so some of the fat is rendered out but it's still pliable and then wrap the figs up and finish them off for another 10 minutes. That should crisp up the bacon a bit better without overcooking the figs and cheese.

I've also seen similar recipes that do this with dates or stuffed the figs with toasted almonds and orange zest.


UPDATE 9/24/10: I had some more figs and cheese and bacon lying around this evening and I didn't have the energy to put together an actual meal, so I tried this again. Precooking the bacon worked well, 5 minutes at 350. However, keep in mind that the bacon will shrink a little as you cook it so you'll want to use a whole strip per fig rather than half like I did before. Since this just adds more bacony goodness to each bite it's probably just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment